Sunday, October 21, 2007

VikingPLoP footnote - I won a prize!


A footnote to my comments on VikingPLoP the other week. I forgot to mention: I won a prize!

I was awarded the shepherd of the year prize for helping another author with their paper before the conference. For those of you who don’t know how pattern conferences work a quick word of explanation...

Pattern conferences exist to help pattern authors improve their papers. After a paper is submitted to the conference it is reviewed and, provided it is accepted, the author is assigned a shepherd. The shepherd works with the author for about three months to help improve the paper. At the end of the process it is the revised paper that is submitted to the conference.

At the conference the paper is reviewed in a workshop. The author then uses these comments to produce the third version of the paper. This version is then included in the conference proceedings.

So, shepherding is an important part of the PLoP system and culture. More information on the Hillside website.

It is an honour to receive the VikingPLoP shepherding award, or to give it it’s full title: The Neil Harrison Shepherding Award. Actually, as some readers will know, this is not the first time I’ve won this award. I won the same award at EuroPLoP 2005.

I’d just like to say thank you to the VikingPLoP committee and the author I shepherded this year for awarding me this prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.